“21 Animation Software! Oh, great, there are so many options to choose from.”
“21 Animation Software! Oh, damn, how would I choose the best among them?”
These two expressions may sound similar but aren’t. Some of you, marketing animators, hobbyists (new to animation), marketers, and business persons (even if they should remain updated to use the perfect tool to give the perfect output to the customers), will be in the first category, while others will be in the second.
So, the ones in the first category, we congratulate you on being here with us.
And the ones who belong to the second category, we want to say that you are not in danger and want to congratulate you guys for making the right choice to have found us.
Henceforth, receiving all your worries and locking them in a box, we have created this not to scare you but to let you look at the list of the 21 best animation software programs. These are based on animation styles - 2D, 3D, Stop-motion, Whiteboard, Character, Cartoon, and Gif animation.
Make animation breezy by knowing what will suit you, your work, and your customers.
The best 21 Animation Software for beginners in 2023
Get started on your animation journey today and discover the best 21 animation software for beginners in 2023. Your next masterpiece is waiting to be animated!
Synfig Animation Software
We have brought you a free and best 2d animation tool that moves you from traditional 2D animation. It is costless, making it more suitable for beginners to start with 2d animation. This tool mainly uses two techniques, morphing and cutout animation, that gives impressive output as 2d animations like a pro.
In addition, Synfig provides a range of brushes and tools for sketching and coloring, making it simple for users to create the look and feel they want for their animations. With various brush styles, including pencil, pen, and watercolor, users can experiment with different techniques and find the appropriate style.
Features of Synfig
- Single-Window mode UI
- Advanced image distortion
- Skeleton system
- Options of the sound layer
- Linux full-featured audio editors
- Dynamics converter
Pros of Synfig
- Image painting engine with MyPaint brushes
- Preliminary support for frame-by-frame animation
- Plugin support
- It’s ideal for small projects.
- It has simple navigation with a basic workflow.
Cons of Synfig
- Suitable technical configurations are required.
- One needs to save work regularly on this software.
Price of Synfig
- It is free of cost.
- It is a 2D animation software.
OpenToonz Animation Software
It is a powerful and convenient tool to create 2D animation, perfect for beginners. Based on the software ‘Toonz,’ Open toonz offers many features to help you bring your ideas to life. The standout features of this tool are its intuitive interface which makes it easy to learn and work on, even if you have no animation experience.
Features of OpenToonz
- Plug-in effect SDK
- Changing picture styles
- It affected incident lights
- Wavy distortion
- GTS scanning tool
- Compatible with raster and vector images
- Interconversion between the sequence image of the colored binarized TGA and the OpenToonz format.
Pros of OpenToonz
- Works on both Windows and MacOS.
- It is open source and free. Therefore, it's the best animation software available for beginners.
Cons of OpenToonz
- There is an absence of tutorials, and one needs to refer to some YouTube tutorials to use this easy app easily.
- Some options, like onion skinning, are hidden.
Pricing of OpenToonz
- It is free and open-source 2D animation software.
- It is a 2D animation tool.
Pencil 2D Animation Software
If you love drawing and need to get used to entering the world of animation, then Pencil 2D is here for you. It's an easy-to-use program with a simplified interface and comprehensive tools for creating traditional hand-drawn animations. The software offers a clean, straightforward workspace where users can draw and animate their characters, backgrounds, and objects.
Features of Pencil2D
- Intuitive drag-and-drop tools
- One can add multiple layers and keyframes, import audio, and export animations to popular video formats.
- Variety of brushes, including pencil, ink, and watercolor, users can experiment with different styles and techniques to create their animations.
- Supports raster and vector images.
- Includes distortion and light effects.
Pros of Pencil2D
- Runs on Windows, Mac Osx, Linux & Free Bsd
- The video format, you can save it in Avi, Mp4, Webm, Gif, or Apng format
- It’s an open-source application
Cons of Pencil2D
- Lower OS versions do not support the advanced feature.
- The tools for painting and drawing are fundamental.
Price of Pencil2D
- As it is open-source software and thus free to use.
- It is a 2D animation creator.
Blender Animation Software
Blender has some specialty as a three-dimensional animation tool. As its name suggests, Blender blends in easily with the mindset of animators, letting them take care of everything from the beginning to the end of the production of the video.
Features of Blender
- Advanced physics simulations.
- Character Animation
- Nonlinear Animation for independent movements.
- 3D modeling
- PBR Material And Texture Creation
- 3D Scene Creation And Lighting
- Image And Video Compositing
- Python Scripting
- Sculpting and many more
Learn the pros and cons of the Blender animation tool to understand the tool. So let us go.
Pros of Blender
- It is an open-source program, meaning anyone can modify, distribute, and use it for nothing.
- It is a complete solution for creating 2D and 3D animation projects because of its many capabilities, which include 3D modeling, Animation, physics simulations, compositing, and video editing.
- It has a sizable and vibrant user and developer community that provides hints, guides, and plugins to assist users in making the most of the tool.
- It is simple to import and export data because it is compatible with various file types and may be used with other programs, such as gaming engines.
- It can be run on most PCs and has quite a low system need.
Cons of Blender
- The high learning curve may require time to get used to it.
- Its user interface may be improved compared to commercial options.
- Regarding documentation and assistance, it might be superior to some commercial solutions.
- Some users require assistance with particular topics, such as motion graphics. However, Blender has been created to cover most topics and improve with each update.
Price of Blender
- It is free and open-source.
- It is a free 3D animation maker.
Clara.io Animation Software
The animator can perform 3D modeling, professional animation, and rendering with this fully functional cloud-based three-dimensional animation box to create ads, promotional videos, and many more. Its main selling point is that it has a lifetime free version and is simple to use in a web browser.
Features of Clara.io
Look below for the characteristics of the effective animation tool -
- Powerful modeling tools
- VRay Cloud Rendering
- Plugins + Rest API
- Collaboration with versioning
- Easy sharing and Embedding
Pros of Clara.io
- Easily imports and exports data into over 30 formats, including FBX, Collada, STL, OBJ, Three.JS, Babylons.JS, 3DS, Blender, and more.
- It works with FBX, Collada, STL, OBJ, Three.JS, Babylons.JS, STEP, IGES, 3DS, Blender, and more platforms. Without having to worry about installing software.
- The UI of the animation website is sleek and straightforward.
Cons of Clara.io
- The rendering and saving process can take more time.
Do not leave here. There is much to know and read about.
Pricing of Clara.io
- Free - Always
- US$10/month - US$100/year
- US$100/month - US$1000/year
- Custom plans
- It is 3D animation software.
KeyShot Animation Software
Perfect in its name and its work. It is a 3D rendering tool that anyone can use effortlessly. Try to learn its features, pros, cons, and pricing to understand the tool better and choose the right one.
Features of KeyShot
- CPU Rendering and GPU Rendering
- Option of denoising the background music.
- Scientific accurate IOR, dispersion, and subsurface scattering
- Global Illumination
- Feature of HDRI Lighting and Physical Lighting
- Fully available libraries that can ultimately help the user - material library, texture Library, environment library, color library, and 3D model library.
- KeyShot Cloud
- Procedural Textures
- Dynamic Texture Mapping
Pros of KeyShot
- Create fluid animations with real-time playback and updates.
- Quick rendering
- User-friendly 3D animation tool.
Cons of KeyShot
- It is expensive.
- Limited geometry modification
Pricing of Keyshot
- KeyShot 9 HD: $995.00 per year
- KeyShot 9 Pro: $1,995.00 per year
- KeyShot 9 Pro Floating: $2,995.00 per year
- KeyShot 9 Enterprise: $3,995.00 per year
- It is a 3D animation maker.
Stop Motion Studio Animation Software
What is this stop motion animation program's helpful feature, as the name suggests? On their mobile devices, users can also create stop-motion animation. Many aspects of stop-motion studio are simple tools for making stop-motion animations quickly.
Features of Stop Motion Studio
- Simple library insertion of pictures and movies from the device.
- Audio and text can be easily added.
- Frames can be cut, copied, pasted, and inserted anywhere.
- The video production timeline is user-friendly and interactive.
- A green screen is used to alter and change the background.
- Layer-based picture editor built in.
Pros of Stop Motion Studio
- The program is simple to download and free.
- Available as an iMessage sticker or animated GIF and shareable in 4K or 1080p on YouTube.
- The Android version of Stop Motion Studio 7 features 30 new backdrops.
- The 11.4 version for iPhone, iPad and macOS includes importing audio and video.
- Projects here can be moved via iCloud, Dropbox, or AirDrop.
- It offers training for the work process and animation tricks and hints, making it appropriate for novices.
- Simple interface
Cons of Stop Motion Studio
- Utilizing a stop motion studio takes time.
- Absence of templates and prefabricated designs.
Pricing of Stop Motion Studio
- It is available for free of cost at App Store or Google Play store.
- It is a Stop-motion animation creator.
Heron Animation Software
Because it is free stop-motion video animation software, it is a fantastic choice for beginners. Many animators, artists, amateurs, and even professionals enjoy its high responsiveness since it lets you quickly record images with a camera and import them to begin working on your stop-motion animation.
The ideal choice if you want a starting point is Heron Animation. To better comprehend the software and how it functions, let's go over its features.
Features of Heron Animation
- Appropriate to work across platforms.
- Supports a wide range of web cameras.
- The final video output gets exported in .MP4 .MOV .AVI, and other formats.
- Windows, Mac, and Linux support it.
Pros of Heron Animation
- Color grading
- Motion tracking
Cons of Heron Animation
- The free version has restricted features.
- No option for importing and adding multiple audio tracks.
- No option for a time-lapse video.
- It has limited file formats.
Pricing of Heron Animation
- Free downloadable version
- It is a Stop-motion animation maker.
PowerDirector Animation Software
You are learning about a full-fledged stop-motion animation studio created by Cyberlink. Adding visual effects, sound effects, and music with Power Director can make your animations more dynamic and exciting. By adding images, using its tools, and saving the finished product, you can create the fantastic stop-motion animation you were thinking of.
Features of PowerDirector
This fantastic software gives various features to help you create high-video-quality stop-motion animations. Here are some of the excellent features of PowerDirector:
- Several video editing features.
- Multicam editing is available.
- This robust program offers various features to assist you in producing stop-motion animations of the highest caliber.
- The ability to preview immediately before the animation is complete.
- Onion skinning
- Keys on the keyboard
- Pleasant user interface
Pros of PowerDirector
- User-friendly interface to easily go through and work with this stop-motion tool.
- Video editing tool produces professional-quality video results.
- Windows and Mac support it.
Cons of Power Director
- Various features are confusing for users.
- Some animators have complained about stability issues.
- Does not support various file formats.
Pricing of Power Director
- PowerDirector 365 - US$5.99/month or US$59.99/year
- PowerDirector 18 - US$99.99
- PowerDirector 365 Business - US$9.99/month or US$99.99/year
- PowerDirector 18 Business - US$129.99
- It is Stop-motion animation software.
Adobe Character Animator Animation Software
Character animation video is a piece of cake for Adobe Character Animator. Whether creating a cartoon series, an explainer video, or an interactive experience, this tool brings your characters to life with minimal effort. With its intuitive interface and comprehensive features, you can create expressive, dynamic, and advanced animations that will leave your audience in awe.
Features of Adobe Character Animator
A few characteristics that reflect the technological idea of Animation are -
- 300+ full-body animated characters are present in the motion library.
- Beginner-friendly starter mode helps in start making animated videos quickly and easily.
- Fast exporting of animations.
- Auto Swap to switch between diverse artwork layers.
Pros of Adobe Character Animator
- Its starter mode is accessible, so it's best suited for beginners to create animation videos.
- The animations from here can be published anywhere.
- Amazing vector illustrations.
- The user community is helpful for beginners to learn the workflow of the software.
Cons of Adobe Character Animator
- HEIC format is not supported.
- Its camera control is not pro.
- The addition of other features can make it a powerful animation tool.
Pricing of Adobe Character Animator
- Free trial – 7 days
- Creative Cloud All Apps – $52.99/month billed annually
- Students and teachers – $19.99/month billed annually
- Business – from $33.99/month billed annually
It is a character animation tool.
Mango Animate Character Animation Software
Say goodbye to the days of boring, lifeless animations and welcome the world of endless possibilities with Mango Animate Character. This free-to-use software is the perfect tool for beginners and pros alike.
With its simple yet powerful interface, even the most inexperienced animator can create realistic animated characters quickly with unique character poses in mind.
So, what are you waiting for? Unleash your creativity with Mango Animate Character Animation Maker and create animations that will leave your audience in awe.
Features of Mango Character Animator
- A massive library of pre-made action skeleton structures and motion templates.
- Comprehensive clothing, skin color, and facial expression options.
- Supports PNG and PSD Import
- Accessory library.
- Audio and video imports.
- Inverse Kinematic control (IK)
Pros of Mango Character Animator
- The free version is available.
- Option of pre-made templates.
- Convert text to speech with this tool.
- Add voiceovers
Cons of Mango Character Animator
- The major drawback of this tool is that it just works on Windows.
Pricing of Mango Character Animator
A free version is also available.
- One-Time Payment of $139
It is a character animation creator.
Autodesk Maya Animation Software
People working for marketers as animators, VFX artists, motion graphics artists, 3D modelers, and lighting artists have utilized this 3D animation program to produce realistic and eye-catching VFX and motion graphics. This has been created for various industries, including TV, movies, video games, and more.
Choosing Autodesk Maya as some premium features influenced the 3D character animation tool. Let's take a closer look at them.
Features of Autodesk Maya
- Workspaces that allow customization.
- 3D modeling option with polygon modeling, NURBs, and sculpture modeling tools.
- Availability of Cached playback feature
Pros of Autodesk Maya
- A simple installation process leads to the smooth usage of the tool.
- The presence of a Time Editor and Graph editor makes it simple to create and edit even tricky, complicated animations.
- Capable of heavy rendering with the available tools.
- Addition of scripts and plugins with its python API.
- The node-based workflow again leads to the smooth use of software and the creation of 3D work.
Cons of Autodesk Maya
- It is a bit pricy.
- The characteristic of this 3d premium animation software that stands out is its demanding learning curve, including its node editor and scene hierarchy.
Pricing of Autodesk Maya
- The free trial version is just for 30 days.
- Subscription plan - $205/month
It is character animation software.
Doratoon Animation Software
Doratoon is a game-changer for creating captivating whiteboard animations that will not burden your pocket. With its user-friendly interface and pre-built templates, even beginners can produce professional-quality videos quickly.
Forget those frustrating and high costs associated with traditional animation methods, and try to create effortless, stunning videos with Doratoon!
Features of Doratoon
- Extensive media library.
- AI Intelligent Dubbing.
- Templates for various subjects like business, HR, marketing, etc.
- The tool contains over 8000 actions and facial expressions.
Pros of Doratoon
- A reliable and cost-effective platform
- Ppt presentations can be easily converted into whiteboard video animations.
- The free version of Doratoon offers various features that users can utilize without paying anything.
Cons of Doratoon
- It takes time for text and voice to sync.
- A slow internet connection can lead to delays in using animated videos on the software.
Pricing of Doratoon
- Basic - US$0 /mo
- Pro - US$4.94 /mo
- Pro+ - US$18.8 /mo
It is whiteboard animation software.
Video Scribe Animation Software
Creativity is the other name of VideoScribe - the powerful whiteboard animation tool that makes creating explainer videos a breeze.
This software has all the tools to make your animations stand out. Whether you're a marketer, entrepreneur, or teacher, VideoScribe empowers you to easily convey your message and engage your audience like never before.
Follow the blog to learn about Video Scribe’s features, pros, cons, and pricing.
Features of Video Scribe
- 9 background textures and 13 hand styles, including a monster hand, are available.
- It can do wonders with the vast image library of over 6000 images in 40 categories, including animals, buildings, shapes, designs, etc.
- It is featured with image customization options.
- It has an integrated voice-over recording option.
- Export high-definition videos.
Pros of Video Scribe
- The online tool also has a support team to assist users with questions or issues.
- This is a fantastic whiteboard animation tool for small and medium businesses.
- Around 300 copyright-free audio tracks are available.
Cons of Video Scribe
- No direct MP4 support.
- The audio cost could be more satisfactory.
Pricing of Video Scribe7-DAY free trial; after that, the paid versions are as follows.
- Monthly Plan – $17/month
- Quarterly Plan – $35/3 months
- Yearly Plan – $96/year
It is whiteboard animation software.
DoodleMaker Animation Software
Doodle Maker sounds fun. Right?
It is, in actuality, as it transforms boring text into eye-catching animated doodle videos. With Doodle Maker, you can create videos in any language you want, with unlimited text-to-speech and language translation.
Features of DoodleMaker
- More than 300 templates are available to create videos.
- An AI translation engine that can automatically generate eye-catching doodle videos in over 30+ languages.
- Converts any image into a hand-drawn sketch.
- Its text-to-speech feature lets you generate great voiceovers in any language you choose.
Pros of DoodleMaker
- It is based on AI technology.
- Provides access to multiple backgrounds for video creation in a single application.
- Comprises of a text-to-speech engine.
- Availability of a library full of millions of elements and a library full of soundtracks.
Cons of DoodleMaker
- This software requires updates almost every time.
- Doodle Maker is a cloud-based software that demands an active internet connection.
- Only options for generating 720p and 1080p videos till now.
Pricing of DoodleMaker
$69.00 with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
It is whiteboard animation software.
Daz 3D Animation Software
With this all-in-one open-source 3D animation software, animators and designers transform basic ideas into actual-looking human models in 3D. With its focus on pre-made character poses and animations of professional quality, this software will take your creations to the next level.
Features of Daz 3D
Characteristics of Daz 3D as an impressive animation tool -
- Option of hand-painting the models available.
- Integration with Autodesk's tools Maya and 3Ds Max.
- Exportation of output in Universal 3D, BVH, FBX, and other formats.
- Option for customizing character types.
- Hexagon 3D modeling software.
Pros of Daz 3D
- User-friendly and provides realistic outputs.
- Its top features provide the ultimate experience to the user and make it a great software to start with.
Cons of Daz 3D
- Create better male characters than female characters.
- Small bodily features like eyebrows, body hair, etc., must be available.
Pricing of Daz 3D
It is free to use.
It is cartoon animation software.
Powtoon Animation Software
Founded in 2012, Powtoon is the leading visual communication platform enabling anyone to create professional-looking and engaging videos and presentations in minutes without design or technical skills. With Powtoon, you can easily create free (or paid) studio-quality HD live and animated videos.
Features of Powtoon
- It offers a vast library of professionally-designed templates, characters, props, videos, and soundtracks.
- Upload your media, videos, GIFs, images, voiceovers, and anything you need to get your audience to care, connect, and act.
Pros of Powtoon
- Offer a wide variety of preset but customizable templates.
- Provides a fairly intuitive process for editing.
- The free version has a watermark on the background.
Cons of Powtoon
- The free version has a watermark on the background
- Limitation of 90 seconds for imported video
Pricing of Powtoon
- Pro - US$89/month
- Pro+ - US$197/month
It is cartoon animation software.
Cartoon Animator Animation Software
Its name shows that this paid animation software can create animated cartoon characters.
Features of Cartoon Animator
- Lip-sync animation from audio
- Motion capture tools
- Animate character – prop
- Prop Dynamics & SFX
- Give life to props – Elastic Motion
- Stretch Animation
- Combine props and link SFX
- Light and shades – Effect Layers
Pros of Cartoon Animator
- Integration with other programs such as Photoshop, Krita, Affinity, or Clip Studio Paint.
- Easy animation. Thus the appropriate choice for beginners.
Cons of Cartoon Animator
- It is much better for business projects as per the price.
- Requires regular updates.
Pricing of Cartoon Animator
- PRO: $99
- Pipeline: $199
TypeIt is cartoon animation software.
Canva Animation Software
This design powerhouse is also the ultimate GIF-making and video-editing machine. With its intuitive interface and unique tools, Canva makes it easy for anyone, regardless of experience level, to turn their static images into mesmerizing animations.
Knowing the canvas tips and tricks makes it easy for beginners to work with this software.
You can start from the basics and take it to the advanced level with Canva. With the features packed in its gift wrap, let us get them unwrapped.
Features of Canva
Canvas characteristics let you understand how it could be beneficial for creating GIF animations.
- It is a curved text generator.
- Photo effects
- Image enhancer
- Online video recorder
- Video trimmer
- Convert videos to MP4
- Animate any element
- Meme maker
- Canva also has stock video clips and images to make GIFs.
Pros of Canva
- A vast library of easily searchable templates compatible with every platform’s size requirement.
- Background remover.
- Easy to use for beginners.
- Windows, Mac, and Web Browser support it.
Cons of Canva
- The user cannot resize templates in the free version.
- Backing up projects is also impossible.
- Low output formats.
Pricing of Canva
Free version - US$0.00/year for one or more people.Paid version
- Canva Pro - US$48.36/year for one person
- Canva for teams - US$79.69/ year for the first five people.
It is gif animation software.
Piskel Animation Software
This is free to use a gif animation tool, and it is great for pixel art, making it unique from other gif makers. Let us learn this software's features, pros, cons, and pricing.
Features of Piskel
- The user can go for the live preview of your animation as you make it.
- Simple user interface.
- Easily, one can use, save, upload, and download in gif-making.
Pros of Piskel
- Both Online and offline versions
- The best thing is it is open-source
- Windows, macOS, and Linux support it.
Cons of Piskel
- Storage size is less as it can just go for 8-bit
- Export to various file formats like png, zip, etc.
Pricing of Piskel
It is free of cost.
It is gif animation software.
MakeAGIF Animation Software
As its name tells you, MakeAGif is an online animation software incorporated to create animated and non-animated gifs. It is where you can find all gifs - pictures to gifs, YouTube to gifs, Facebook to gifs, webcam to gifs, or you can upload something to make it gif.
Features of MakeAGIF
- Converts videos to gifs
- Option of converting GIF to MP4 converter
- Along with gifs, it also has a feature of creating an Animated flipbook.
- Presence of Video reversal tool.
Pros of MakeAGIF
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Loaded with all the options for creating gifs
- Just log in with an account to use the software.
- Best for beginners to learn to make gifs.
Cons of MakeAGIF
- Fewer features for editing and designing
- The option for previewing customized texts is unavailable.
Pricing of MakeAGIF
It is free and premium; one must log in online.
It is gif animation software.
Ready to give Animation Software for beginners a try?
We showcased the list of the best animation software options available for beginners and professionals to help you bring your brand to life and engage potential customers with video marketing games. Selection of the best animation tools among these 21 powerful animation software options will meet your and your business needs.
Still feel to know more about this never-ending topic, feel free to reach out to us in case of any queries.