To create motion graphics or, in other words, bring graphics to life, you must use many tools and techniques. Moreover, there are many benefits of motion graphics and how to use them depends on varying needs of the video. As a motion graphic designer, Adobe After Effects is one of the handiest video effects tools in the plethora of tools available.
In this blog, I will tell you how to install and use Trapcode Particular in after effects. You may also want to check out other cool stuff you can do in after effects like masking effects, how to make beams in after effects, kinetic typography, etc.
What is Trapcode Particular?
Trapcode Particular is one of the plugins for after effects that lets you add particles to your composition to bring your motion graphics to work their magic. It has tons of physics control, custom particles, and a new user interface, which makes it one of the most recommended plugins for motion design artists.
It is a particle generation tool developed by Red Giant that allows us to create 3D particle effects and simulate real-world physics. It is a paid after effects plugin and is part of the larger Trapcode Suite from Red giant. You can also check out the free trial version that Red giant offers, but it comes with a watermark.
It has many presets that you can use in your work and can modify according to your needs by changing the options given in the plugin.
Now let's take a look at how you can get started with Trapcode Particular.
How to install Trapcode Particular?
Trapcode Particular comes packaged in the Trapcode Suite Installer. Note that you do not need to install the entire suite. The installer will install the Trapcode Particular as well as other products within the Trapcode Suite.
Before beginning, you might want to close all intensive programs and be logged in as an administrator.
What you need to do first is to install the Red Giant application manager. Then you should run the Trapcode installer.
Let's look at the step-by-step guide to make it easy for you to install and use Trapcode Particular.
Step 1: The Red Giant Trapcode Particular Plugin can be downloaded from the link below.
Step 2: Use WinRar Software to extract the zip file after downloading the plugin.
You can also use Windows Explorer to extract the downloaded file.
Step 3: Open the extracted folder after it has been extracted.
Step 4: Here, you'll find another zip file named 'Particular,' which you should unzip.
Step 5: Go ahead and open the extracted folder.
Step 6: Now, start the installer, and it will prompt you to choose the plugins you want to install.
After installation, confirm the administrative credentials. Enter the license information to complete the installation process.
Now that the installation process is complete let's take a look at how you can use trapcode particular in after effects.
Using Trapcode Particular in after effects
To use trapcode particular in after effects after the installation, you need to perform the following steps:
Step 1: Create a new solid layer by selecting Layer in menus > New > Solid, or you can use the shortcut key Ctrl+Y.
Step 2: Select the solid layer and click the Effects menu > Select RG Trapcode > Particular.
Now you can see an effect named particular in your effects control panel.
Role of each options
Let's now see what's the use of each option of the particular effects.
- Designer: It is a custom way to preview and build your particle settings within its own modular window. It also includes a list of presets to use in your work. You can also customize the presets according to your requirements.
- Show System: It contains controls that allow you to show, hide, add, or remove multiple particle emitters from your particular layer.
- Emitter Group: It is the most important option of the particular plugin; that's why it is the master option. It generates the particles. This section controls the shape of the emitter, its direction, the velocity of the particles, and the movement and rotation of the emitter.
- Particle Group: As the name suggests, it controls the properties of the particle, such as size, opacity, and color. This section also controls how the properties vary over the particles' lifespan. It also contains an important option named 'particle type,' which sets the base shape of the particles.
- Shading Group: This option allows you to turn off or on the shading for the particle system, where you can select the distance, ambient, diffuse, specular amount, Specular Sharpness, and other settings.
- Physics Group: This group contains parameters to control the outside forces acting upon your particle systems, such as gravity, wind, and air turbulence.
- AUX System: This option allows you to select the emit off, at bounce event or continuously. We can set the emit probability, particle/collision, particle velocity, type of emission, size, color, opacity, and many other parameters.
- Global Fluid Controls: This allows you to control the Fluid Time Factor, Viscosity, and Simulation Fidelity.
- World Transform: This is used to control the 3 axis rotation, i.e., X, Y, Z, and can also set the offset for the same.
- Visibility: This gives control over where particles are visible. For example, particles far away can be set to fade out.
- Rendering: This controls how the particles will look when they render. We can set the render mode, acceleration, particle amount, depth of field, and motion blur to the effect.
You now know how these options can be used to create amazing motion graphics.
After Effect is a video editing software that allows you to create a variety of animations and modify videos to meet our needs. You can use a variety of functions in this software to assist you in video editing, of which one is Trapcode.
You can think of Trapcode Particular as an effect that allows you to apply particle motion to a specific path and create a professional animation for your work. After reading this blog, now you might have got an idea of how you can get started with Trapcode Particular.
The blog was a beginner guide to installing Trapcode Particular and understanding the use of each option in it. I hope this was helpful to you, as you can use this to make character animation, motion graphics, 2D animation, etc.
Are you looking to create videos or need video editing assistance? Get assistance from experts. Contact us to know more.