Do you have your own business website or manage one? If yes, you must know the importance of appearing on the first page of search results. Getting your site ranked in the top searches is what every marketer aims for.
If your website comes on the top for all the keywords, then you are on the right track. And if not, then it means there is a lot of work that needs to be done.
Indeed, the entire goal of the website is to attract traffic and convert traffic into leads. This is done by ranking better on the search engine results page. The higher your website, the more your sale will be.
Now let's come to the main point, how to make the website rank higher? Well! There are two ways to get this done, the first being link building, and the second one is technical SEO.
To most of us, it may sound the same, but as you dig deeper, you will find that they are completely different from each other.
Link building vs technical SEO
Link building is all about building hyperlinks, and technical SEO is about making sure your website is running in the same manner as you intended it to.
Indeed, backlinks improve your website's worth, whereas website technical SEO is an ongoing process that needs to be monitored constantly by some experts.
Below are some of the important technical SEO terms that you must know while working on your website. It includes:
- Crawler/Bot- Search engines need to understand every page for this; they use "crawlers" or "bots" to browse through web pages.
- Mobile-first Indexing- With 85% of the traffic coming from mobile devices, it is always a good idea to implement mobile-first indexing.
- Sitemap- A sitemap is an XML file that contains all of the URLs of your website; this helps your website to be easily crawled and indexed.
- Robots.txt- This is a text file that tells search engines whether to crawl or not crawl a particular web page.
- 404 Error- It means that your website has a dead page meaning that it can hamper the user experience.
- 301 Redirect- This is used when you want to tell search engines to redirect permanently to a new page.
- ALT Text- Search engines don't understand images; the alt text is used to define the image.
- HTML Tags- Search engines find it difficult to decipher text; that's why we used HTML tags such as H1 to H6 tags.
- Page Speed & Load Times- Page speed/load time is an important factor that defines the overall user experience on a website.
- Duplicate Content- Duplicate content hurts your website a lot; always publish unique content on your website.
There is no question that technical SEO is better than traditional link building; technical SEO incorporates ways by which your website is easily crawled and indexed by search engines. It includes domain architecture, page speed, canonical structures, redirection, page speed, broken links, etc.
Indeed, your website cannot rank better without technical SEO. Fortunately, there are many helpful tutorials available on YouTube and Google by going through which you can understand what SEO is all about. But also, it's true that technology becomes much more complex as you scale a website in terms of pages or integrate different technology.
Still, pondering over why to go with technical SEO than link building? Have a look at the below points.
Why is Technical SEO Important?
No doubt, link building is important to improve your website presence, but if you consider technical SEO, then you can easily win the audience's heart.
There are three different elements of technical SEO that you must consider while building your website, which include performance, crawlability, and indexing. Keeping a record of all these elements will help you to improve your site's SEO easily.
Now, let's have a look at the benefits of using technical SEO.
Easily crawled by search engines
Technical SEO helps in successfully implementing HTTPS (SSL), getting rid of error pages, and focusing on more human-readable URLs.
This issue arises when your site is not coded properly like badly-nested DIV tags. Technical SEO helps you get rid of any code-related errors and make it cross-platform compatible.
Speedy Loading of Pages
Technical SEO focuses on fast-loading pages on mobile and desktop. This point is really important for user retention and overall experience.
Right implementation of plugins
Technical SEO focuses on the right implementation of plugins so that your website runs smoothly. So, if you want to have smooth plugins then you can go with technical SEO.
Properly Configured Google Analytics code
Technical SEO makes sure that your website is properly configured with Google Analytics code and makes sure that all other parameters are checked.
Search Console Errors
Technical SEO helps in the successful implementation of search console errors, especially coverage issues, sitemap issues, etc. Those issues of the website need to be resolved properly in routine to get the better performance of the website.
To rank better, you have to work on every aspect of digital marketing and build different strategies to achieve real-time results.
Indeed every website is different, which means that the tactics that drive the best results may not have the same impact on others. Therefore, it means that technical SEO is very important as it will help you to improve the rankings and generate a good amount of revenue.
Are you looking to boost your website SEO ranking? Feel free to contact us!