This knowledge base article provides guidelines and best practices for salespersons on taking calls with clients on Upwork.
How to Initiate a call or share the meeting slot with the client
Open the thread of the client message on upwork by navigating to Messages and then click on the “Phone icon” on right side of the screen.
From here now you can choose the option to initiate a zoom call/normal call or share the meeting slot with the client to choose from.
To ensure effective communication and eliminate any potential gaps in understanding, it is recommended for salespersons to record their calls with clients and share them in the respective portal Slack channel. Along with the recording the sales person needs to update the Minutes of meeting in the deal as well as the slack channel.This practice allows for easy reference and ensures that the client's onboarding process or feasibility discussions are accurately documented. By sharing the recorded calls, all team members can access the information and align their expectations with the client's requirements from the outset.
Apart from the above information below are some more guideines that can help salespeople effectively communicate and build relationships with clients to secure successful projects and foster long-term partnerships.
- Review the client's project details, requirements, and any relevant materials before the call.
- Prepare a list of questions to ask the client to clarify their needs and gather further information.
Professionalism and Communication:
- Be punctual for scheduled calls.
- Maintain a friendly and professional tone throughout the call, using clear and concise language.
- Listen actively to the client, allowing them to express their needs, concerns, and expectations fully.
- Practice active engagement by acknowledging the client's statements, asking follow-up questions, and showing genuine interest.
Understanding Client Needs:
- Ask probing questions to gain a deep understanding of the client's project objectives, desired outcomes, and timeline.
- Seek clarification on any ambiguous or unclear requirements to avoid misunderstandings.
- Summarize the client's needs periodically to ensure alignment and demonstrate your understanding.
- Provide relevant examples or testimonials to support your claims and alleviate doubts.
Pricing and Negotiation:
- Be prepared to discuss pricing during the call if the client brings it up.
- Clearly explain the pricing structure, any additional costs, and the value they will receive.
- If negotiations are necessary, be flexible and willing to find mutually beneficial solutions.
- Summarize the key discussion points, decisions, and agreed-upon actions.
- Confirm the next steps, such as sending a proposal, providing additional information, or scheduling a follow-up call.
- Thank the client for their time and express your enthusiasm for the potential partnership.
- Send a personalized follow-up email to the client, NO ROBOTIC FOLLOW UP MESSAGE.
- Address any additional questions or concerns the client might have raised during the call.
- Promptly deliver any promised materials or proposals to maintain momentum.
Remember, each client is unique, so adapt these guidelines to suit individual circumstances. Continuously refine your approach based on feedback and experience to enhance your effectiveness in securing projects and building successful client relationships on Upwork.
*************************************************Submitted by Sandeep Kumar on 19th May 2023