It is important to organize contacts in your database according to their expressed interest in receiving marketing emails from you. You can use this data to make sure that your marketing email content is right for your audience.
Email engagement improves your inbox placement rates. If you send an email from HubSpot that results in a high rate of negative engagement mean their bounce rate is high or go to spam, your email account will be placed in a suspension state. To avoid this issue, create lists to segment your contacts based on their interests and original source. Then get rid of any outdated or unengaged contacts from your account.
Segment your contacts
To clean up your contact lists, use any of the following contact property to get more context about their original source and why they're engaging with your business.
- Create date
- Last email date
- Recent conversion date
- Last form submission
- Last email opened
- Last email clicked
- Last reply
- Last date purchased
- Last activity date
Create and suppress a list of contacts who've never opened one of your marketing emails
If you don't take any action on time, low open rates of your marketing emails can worsen over time. Email service providers like Gmail will move emails with low engagement to the spam folder, which will further drop the open rate of your emails because fewer users will see your emails.
To avoid this issue and improve your overall open rate, you can create and suppress a list of contacts who've never opened one of your marketing emails:
- Go to Contacts > Lists in your HubSpot account.
- Click Create list.
- Click the pencil icon edit and enter a name for the list.
- In the Filters section, configure the appropriate filters:
- To segment contacts who've never opened one of your emails, select Contact property > Last marketing email open date, then select is unknown.
- Under the filter that you have just created, click AND.
- To avoid filtering out brand new contacts, you can set a minimum threshold of emails received before you deem that the contact is unlikely to open any of your emails. Select Marketing emails delivered, then select is greater than. Enter the number of emails you'd like to set as a threshold.
- In the upper right, click Save.